Tourist visa

Tourist visa

Non EEA and Switzerland citizens can obtain a visitor visa to the UK for various purposes, such as tourist trip, a short business trip, short training courses or a marriage visa. The main requirements are the availability of funds to cover their expenses, the intention to leave the country after the visa expires, and necessary documents package.

As a rule, a guest visa is issued for 6 months.

 Standard visitor visa

The purpose of the trip might be tourism, family visit, private medical treatment, or business, e.g., for meetings, conferences or seminars. You can also come to attend a sports event, to perform in case you are a musician or actor, etc.


You must prove that you will leave the UK after your visa expiration, moreover, that you can support yourself and dependent family members for the entire trip, and that you have the means to pay for your travel and tickets to go back home plus other expenses. You must provide your visit purpose proofs.

Each visa case is different, that is why we provide a full list of documents individually for your case upon the request.


You can: do business activities in accordance with the rules of the guest visa, study for up to 30 days if this is not the main purpose of the visit, participate in an exchange program if you are under 18.

You cannot: work, live in the UK for a long time, apply for state financial assistance while coming to the UK regularly, as well as get married, or notify about the registration of marriage.

The validity of the visa

The visa is issued for a period of up to 6 months for general purposes, up to 11 months for private medical treatment, up to 12 months for scientific research, for 2, 5 or 10 years, in case you could prove the need for frequent visits during this period (the maximum period of stay for each visit is 6 months).

Transit visa

There are two types of transit visas depending on the nature of your stay in the UK:

  • Direct Airside Transit visa DATV for 24 hours if you do not leave the airport building and pass border control;
  • Guest transit visa, short-term and long-term, for the purpose when you plan to pass through passport control, leave the airport, and leave the UK within 48 hours.

Short-term student visa

This type of visa is perfect for taking a short course of study in the United Kingdom, for conducting research as part of their studies abroad (for those over 18 years of age).


You must be enrolled in a course at an educational institution that has a sponsor license or is on the list of one of the certified organizations. You must show that you have sufficient funds to stay and buy a return ticket to your country. If the applicant is a minor they must arrange their travel and accommodation in the UK and provide parental or guardians consent.

The visa validity  

Such visa is issued for 6 or 11 months for short courses of study, including English language courses, or 6 months for short research (for individuals over 16 years of age).

List of required documents

You are required to provide a letter of enrolment from one of the UK educational institutions with information about the course, a draft can be sent upon a request. You must also confirm the availability of funds for living and travel expenses, and provide information about the place of residence in the country and your travel plan. You should only buy tickets and book a hotel after obtaining a visa.

Depending on your circumstances, immigration officers may require additional documents. In order to have a complete list of documents, contact our immigration lawyers.

You are not allowed to:

Study at a public school, work or engage in any business, as well as renew this visa and bring your dependents – they must apply for a visa separately.

Visa for paid work on a short-term contract (Permitted Paid Engagement visa)

This visa gives the right to enter the UK for admitted experts in their field, who have an invitation from the company, in order to provide paid services. You must have sufficient funds for your travel and living expenses.

The visa is issued for a period of up to 1 month.


To request a consultation, please fill out the form.