Global Talent Visa

Global Talent Visa

General provisions

You can apply for a Global Talent visa if you work in a qualifying field and have been endorsed:

  • as a recognised leader (exceptional talent)
  • as a prospective leader (exceptional promise)
  • under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option

You must also be from outside the European Economic Area (CES) and Switzerland.

Preparing and submitting your application

There are 2 stages you need to go through for Global Talent visa.

  1. You apply to the UK Home Office for endorsement as a leader or prospective leader.
  2. You apply for the visa.

A lot of applicants go for the endorsement first, but you actually can fill out both applications simultaneously. However, if you are refused the endorsement, your visa application will also be refused and you will get no money back.

Eligibility criteria

To get a Global Talent visa, you need to apply to be endorsed:

  • as a leader (exceptional talent)
  • as a prospective leader (exceptional promise)
  • under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option

You submit an application which is assessed by an organization from your field of expertise. They are generally refereed as an ‘endorsing body’.

There is the list of approved endorsing bodies in the UK:

  • the Royal Society – for science and medicine
  • the Royal Academy of Engineering – for engineering
  • the British Academy – for humanities
  • Tech Nation – for digital technology
  • Art Council England – for arts and culture
  • UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) – for research

If your area of ​​expertise is fashion, architecture or film and television, Arts Council England will submit your application for review to:

  • British Fashion Council – for fashion
  • Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) – for architecture
  • Producers Alliance for Cinema and Television (PACT) – for film and television

You can use a valid endorsement given to you under the old Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa to apply for a new Global Talent visa. There is no need to go for a new endorsement under new Global Talent visa rules.

English language and maintenance requirements

According to the current UK immigration rules, this visa does not require you to take an English test and to provide any evidence of maintenance funds.

Getting an endorsement letter

To do this, you must apply for endorsement via the Home Office web-portal.

Though if you are a digital technology professional, you will also need to apply for endorsement from Tech Nation.

The decision on the application usually comes within 8 weeks. You may secure a faster decision if you are a digital technology professional and you have been accepted into an approved UK accelerator programme.

The application can be assessed faster if you:

  • have an approved fellowship
  • are a senior academic or senior researcher at a UK university, college or research institute
  • will be employed by an approved UK research organisation and will make a significant contribution to the work supported by a research grant from an approved endorsed sponsor

Next steps

If your application is successful, you will receive an email from the Home Office with a copy of your endorsement letter. You will need it to apply for the visa.

If you applied for endorsement and visa at the same time, your endorsement letter will be automatically linked to your visa application.

However, if you only applied for endorsement, you will not be granted a visa automatically. You have to apply for it separately.

If your application is refused, you can request a review for your endorsement application.

You must apply for a visa within 3 months of your receiving the letter of endorsement from the Home Office.

What documents to provide

When applying for a visa, you need to provide the following:

  • a valid passport or other valid travel ID
  • the results of your tuberculosis test if you are from the country where you need to take the test

You must also have all the documents that are not in English or Welsh translated and certified.

Depending on the circumstances, you may be requested to provide additional documents by the Home Office.

Visa application processing time

Once you get your endorsement, you can apply for a visa 3 months before your planned trip to the UK.

It generally takes 3 weeks to get a decision on the application when you submit it from outside the UK (through the embassy or visa center).

Applicants with a valid Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa endorsement

If you have your valid endorsement letter issued under the old Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa rules, you can still use it to apply for a new Global Talent visa.

You do not need to apply for a new under the new Global Talent visa rules.

Switching from other visa categories

You can apply for a Global Talent visa if you are already in the UK under one of the following visa categories:

  • Tier 1
  • Tier 2
  • Tier 5 (Temporary worker — Government Authorized Exchange) – the exchange scheme for sponsored researchers
  • Start-up visa
  • Innovator visa

You are offered to choose how long you want to apply for. The maximum time period is 5 years.

And you must pay the immigration healthcare surcharge only for the period of time you decided to stay in the UK.

If you are with any other UK visa, you must leave the country and apply from abroad.

Extending a Global Talent visa

You can apply to extend your visa if:

  • your endorsing body has not withdrawn its approval
  • you earned money in your area of expertise in the UK under your previous Global Talent visa

If the above is applicable to you, you just apply before your current visa expires.

If you are living in the UK with a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa, you can renew it under the new Global Talent category.

Staying in the UK

The visa can be granted for 1- 5 years.

You can apply to extend the visa as many times as you like. Each time you extend for 1-5 years.

Dependent family members

Your family members that are financially dependent must apply for join you in the UK if they are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

An individual is considered your dependant if they are:

  • your partner (a spouse or a civil partner)
  • your child under 18
  • your child over 18 if they are currently living in the UK as your dependant (with the visa of a dependent child)

Applying for indefinite leave to remain under the Global Talent visa – qualification periods

The main applicants who get approved by one of the endorsing bodies mentioned above are eligible to apply for the indefinite leave to remain after 3 years, instead of the standard 5 years.

Applying for indefinite leave to remain under a Global Talent visa for family members (dependants)

The qualification period for a dependent partner (a spouse or a civil partner) under a Global Talent visa is 5 years, regardless of whether the main applicant is eligible to accelerated application for the UK indefinite leave to remain.

Dependent children can apply for a permanent residence status if both parents have already been granted the indefinite leave to remain or if they apply along with the children. Dependent children may also apply at the same time as the main applicant does, if the said applicant is the sole legal guardian of the child.


To request a consultation, please fill out the form.